An antique book, bookmarks and more!!!




As some of you may know, my husband and I own a used book store. Some of the books are newer than others. Some of the books that come in are antiques that people bring them to my husband for evaluation purposes.

One such book that came through our door recently was called Annals: The True and Royal History of the Famous Empress Elizabeth. This book is a translation from Latin and was written by William Camden in 1615 under the title Annales rerum Anglicarum et Hibernicarum regnante Elizabetha. The translated copy of the book that I looked at was dated 1625. The front board is detached and the binding is somewhat damaged but otherwise, for a book that's almost 400 years old, it's in pretty good shape. My husband could not find this book for sale anywhere and only found a reference to it in another book. Needless to say it is indeed rare!

I saw some writing inside (it's pictured in the last photo). I couldn't make out what it says but the hand-written date is pretty clear: 1645. Click on the photo to see a closer view.



Our bookstore seems to be continually in flux. My husband, Pierre, always seems to be building more shelves and staining them, moving book genre sections, adjusting book tag locations and lots of other activity that keeps him very busy. Recently a friend asked him if he would like to have a book- mark collection that he's been amassing for the last 30 years. Of course Pierre said yes. Well, we now have hundreds of bookmarks that hail from all over the world, one as far away as Nairobi. Several date from WW II and are, to say the least, politically insensitive for the world we live in today. Some are downright racist and sexist. All are interesting and reflect (mostly) the culture of the western world through last several decades.

8 comments:

Ellz on March 11, 2010 at 7:14 AM said...

Great post. I would love to own a used bookstore. Our friends have one, it is so romantic.

bermudaonion on March 11, 2010 at 7:27 AM said...

Wow, that book is fantastic! When I look at something like that, I wonder about all the people who've owned it through the years.

Tina on March 11, 2010 at 9:01 AM said...

Great post Donna and the store looks great! One of the best things about owning a bookstore is that you NEVER know what little gem is waiting for you just around the corner - ah!!!!

Missy B. on March 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM said...

How neat! I wonder how many hands that 400 year old book has passed through. Incredible. And the bookmark collection....very special!

Literary Feline on March 11, 2010 at 12:43 PM said...

What an exciting find--a 400 year old book! That book mark collection is something else too. Are you going to put them on display or try to sell them?

Staci on March 11, 2010 at 8:35 PM said...

Antiques Roadshow is calling your name...would love to hear what that book may be worth!!!

avisannschild on March 11, 2010 at 10:30 PM said...

Wow, that antique book looks amazing! What a find. So did Pierre buy it? What will you do with it? The bookmark collection sounds really interesting too. I can't wait to see your store!

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on March 17, 2010 at 10:45 PM said...

I love going into your bookstore because I always find something new and your hubby Pierre is so helpful. I found a history book there that my hubby is reading and loving. I'm now tempted to go have a sneak peak at that 400 year old book!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)