Waiting on Wednesday





Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.







I noticed that the largest bookstore chain in Canada has recently been advertising its own eReader called Kobo. (At least I think it's their own e-Reader - the more I read about it, the more unsure I am. I found one description that says 'it partnered' with Kobo.) In any case, the tagline for this product is 'created by booklovers for booklovers'. What does this even mean? Are the creators of this product really booklovers because they love to read or are they booklovers because they're booksellers and that fact makes them booklovers by default?

I admit I'm tempted by this product. It comes at a cost of $149 and the books are generally $10.00 and up. The cost is not so bad, but there are lots of other questions I would need to ask before I'd consider handing over the cash. Are the books DRM protected is a big one. And how durable is it? When is the next generation coming out? How does it compare with other e-Readers for comfort, viewability, etc. And now with the new IPad, I'd have to think about this even more. That new toy will be more expensive but you can do a lot more on it than just read books. I don't know, I'll have to think about this a little bit more!

4 comments:

DCMetroreader on April 28, 2010 at 8:38 AM said...

I think e-reader's rock -- especially since my TBR wouldn't be threatening to topple over at any minute if they were e-copies.

bermudaonion on April 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM said...

I love the concept of an e-reader, but find I don't use mine much.

Bibliobabe on April 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM said...

I have a Kindle and like it. I use mine when I see a book in the blogosphere that I want to read NOW and not wait to buy online or at a bookstore. I have to admit that I haven't used it as much as I thought I would...but I'm still glad it's an option. The ipad has caught my eye too - so many more options with that - and color!

Staci on April 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM said...

I've toyed with the ereader idea off and on. I just don't want to spend that kind of $$$ on a gadget though. Plus, I just love the feel of a real book in my hand!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)