Mailbox Monday




This meme is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi at The Story Siren.



Last week I received The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. The description on the back of the book reads:

'Orphaned while onboard ship from Ireland, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin.
Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk.'

I started this book on the weekend and so far it's excellent - with lots of suspense and action! I'll be posting a review in a couple of weeks.

What did you get in your mailbox?

8 comments:

DCMetroreader on April 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM said...

This sounds like a good one. Will look forward to your review!

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on April 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM said...

I've seen this one around and the synopsis sounds so good. I will look forward to your review!

Mary (Bookfan) on April 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM said...

I read this last week and liked it. I hope you do as well.

Alayne on April 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM said...

This looks like a good one. Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

Beth(bookaholicmom) on April 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM said...

I read this awhile ago and thought it was excellent. I'm glad you are enjoying it also. I can't wait for Karen Grissom's next novel.

Kelly on April 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM said...

I loved this book, I just finished it.
Kelly Bookend Diaries

bermudaonion on April 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM said...

That book sounds so good - I'm anxious to read it. I'll be watching for your review.

Staci on April 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM said...

I'm glad that you're enjoying this one. Sounds pretty cool, especially the twist of the little girl being from Ireland and basically an indentured servant.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)