Not a Mailbox Monday or Books Bought meme but....


It is a books received post. I got a few books for Christmas but the ones that really surprised me were those I received from the Book Blogger Holiday Swap and the LT Secret Santa. I already posted about the Holiday Swap books so I thought I would do one for LT the Secret Santa since again I was very impressed with the Santa's choices for me. I recognize that it's not easy to book shop for someone who owns a bookstore but both Santas managed to give me books that I did not already own. And the LT Secret Santa got me books that I hadn't even heard of but are books that I would've bought had I seen them. So, thank you to my LT Secret Santa!

The first book she chose is called Of Bees and Mist and is written by Erick Setiawan.


From the book's website:

Erick Setiawan’s debut is an engrossing fable that chronicles three generations of women under one family tree over a period of thirty years—their galvanic love and passion, their shifting alliances, their superstitions and complex domestic politics—and places them in a mythical town where spirits and spells, witchcraft and demons, and prophets and clairvoyance are an everyday reality. An astonishing debut, Of Bees and Mist is a richly atmospheric and tumultuous ride of hope and heartbreak that is altogether touching, truthful, and entirely memorable.

This book looks really good. You can read the first chapter here. I've only read the first page and I can tell I'm going to enjoy this book.

The second book I received is The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque by Jeffrey Ford.


From the publisher's website:
A mysterious and richly evocative novel, The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque tells the story of portraitist Piero Piambo, who is offered a commission unlike any other. The client is Mrs. Charbuque, a wealthy and elusive woman who asks Piambo to paint her portrait, though with one bizarre twist: he may question her at length on any topic, but he may not, under any circumstances, see her. So begins an astonishing journey into Mrs. Charbuque's world and the world of 1893 New York society in this hypnotically compelling literary thriller.


This book, set in NYC, which for me is an added attraction, sounds deliciously mysterious and I can't wait to read it.

Once again, thank you to my LT Secret Santa for your brilliant book choices!

4 comments:

cindysloveofbooks on January 18, 2010 at 9:12 AM said...

Donna I heard really good things about the first book. it seems that your Secret Santa picked out just the right books for you. Enjoy them :)

bermudaonion on January 18, 2010 at 9:19 AM said...

Those both look good. I love the cover of Of Bees and Mist!

avisannschild on January 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM said...

Yay for Secret Santas! Both these books sound really good. Enjoy!

Staci on January 18, 2010 at 8:54 PM said...

Your secret santa did a great job. I've been wanting to read Bees and Mist...hope you enjoy both of them!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)