Mailbox Monday July 18, 2011





In July Mailbox Monday is being hosted by A Sea of Books.



I received two books last week. The first is Flashback by Dan Simmons. I love this author (I've read Black Hills and Drood by him) and I'm really looking forward to reading this book. From the Hachette Book Group's website:

The United States is near total collapse. But 87% of the population doesn't care: they're addicted to flashback, a drug that allows its users to re-experience the best moments of their lives. After ex-detective Nick Bottom's wife died in a car accident, he went under the flash to be with her; he's lost his job, his teenage son, and his livelihood as a result.

Nick may be a lost soul but he's still a good cop, so he is hired to investigate the murder of a top governmental advisor's son. This flashback-addict becomes the one man who may be able to change the course of an entire nation turning away from the future to live in the past.






The second book is Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson. Another great author to read this summer. From Hachette's website:

The President's son and daughter are abducted, and Detective Alex Cross is one of the first on the scene. But someone very high-up is using the FBI, Secret Service, and CIA to keep him off the case and in the dark.

A deadly contagion in the water supply cripples half of the capital, and Alex discovers that someone may be about to unleash the most devastating attack the United States has ever experienced.

As his window for solving both crimes narrows, Alex makes a desperate decision that goes against everything he believes--one that may alter the fate of the entire country. KILL ALEX CROSS is faster, more exciting, and more tightly wound than any Alex Cross thriller James Patterson has ever written!

12 comments:

avisannschild on July 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM said...

I have yet to try a book by either of these authors. I do think I'd probably enjoy Drood. Hope these are both good!

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on July 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM said...

I haven't read any Dan Simmons books but from your glowing reviews I'm thinking I should give them a try.

Gwendolyn B. on July 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM said...

I've got the Simmons book coming up in my TBR pile. Looks like fun. Hope you enjoy both your new books!

Mary (Bookfan) on July 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM said...

I hope you love them both. I like the cover on the Simmons book.

bermudaonion on July 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM said...

I hope they both live up to your expectations!

Kaye on July 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM said...

Never read Simmons but I've read a lot of Patterson. That one looks good. Have a wonderful week and enjoy your new reads!

Mystica on July 18, 2011 at 11:17 PM said...

Haven't read a Dan Simmons yet but I think I'd like to give them a try.

Laurel-Rain Snow on July 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM said...

Oh, I can't recall ever reading anything by Dan Simmons...but this one does look tempting. And Kill Alex Cross? They'd better not!!

I haven't read a James Patterson book in awhile, but I enjoy the Alex Cross books and The Women's Murder Club series.

Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

Holly on July 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM said...

The Dan Simmons book sounds awesome! I have The Terror on my shelf but haven't read it yet. Enjoy your books!

Anonymous said...

These sound intriguing, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/mailbox-monday-dark-city-by-catherine.html

Kaye on July 25, 2011 at 4:03 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth(bookaholicmom) on July 25, 2011 at 10:11 PM said...

I have not read any of the Alex Cross books but that one does sound every exciting. My sister reads them so I may just have to borrow her copy. Enjoy both of your books.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)