Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare



Shadowhunters, warlocks, vampires, shape-changers, demons and even some humans have been keeping me company the last couple of days and now that they’ve left, I miss them. Yes, you read that right – I even miss those demented demons.

Cassandra Clare's new book, Clockwork Angel, begins when Tessa Gray, sixteen and orphaned, leaves America to join her brother in London to begin a new life. It turns out that London is not quite what she expected. The story follows Tessa as she navigates London’s Downworld. It’s replete with creatures that don’t exactly have her best interests at heart, but also some that, surprisingly, do. The author has a knack for imbibing her characters with distinct personalities that convey humour, anger, bewilderment and many other traits. Interaction between the characters is one of things I enjoyed most about this novel.

The pace of the story is perfect. It starts out with an action sequence and drew me right in. The book is well over 400 pages but it took me just two days to read it – and I didn’t want it to end. The action took place in settings that were well-described: Victorian London with mysterious fogs; horse-drawn carriages; gothic dwellings. It set an atmosphere that I wanted to stay in. I would love to see these books turned into movies! Why not? They did it with Harry Potter and Twilight after all.

Clockwork Angel is the first book in the Infernal Devices series and is the prequel to the Mortal Instruments series, which I have not read yet. I do have it though (actually I have a signed copy of one of the books so, being the book nerd that I am, I need to get a reading copy to read it instead of the signed one). There is nothing in Clockwork Angel that made me think I should have read the Mortal Instruments series first – it stands on its own quite well but is so much fun it just makes me want to read the Infernal Devices books now. The only drawback to having finished Clockwork Angel is that I have to wait an entire year to read the next book!

4 comments:

bermudaonion on September 9, 2010 at 10:04 AM said...

I like the setting, but I'm not sure I would enjoy the paranormal aspects. I'll have to think about this book.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on September 9, 2010 at 12:14 PM said...

I saw this one at Costco and although the setting really attracted me, this kind of paranormal genre is not my cup of tea. It's got a fantastic cover, though!

Staci on September 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM said...

Oh yes...I can't wait to read this one. I still have to finish her other trilogy with book 3, but I've been anxious to read this when I first heard about it. Great review!

Nikki - Notes of Life on September 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM said...

This is one I want to read :)

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)