Mailbox Monday


This meme is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi at The Story Siren.

I received two books last week:




Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant is one I'm really looking forward to. The blurb on the back cover says:

"...an engrossing new novel set in a convent in Renaissance Italy where a defiant sixteen-year-old girl has just been confined against her will-for life."

and:

"A rich captivating, multifaceted love story, Sacred Hearts is a novel about power, creativity, passion-both secular and spiritual-and the indomitable spirit of women in an age when religious, political, and social forces were all stacked against them."


The Rapture by Liz Jensen is described on the back cover as:

"Girl, Interrupted meets The Dead Zone in this utterly compelling drama about a paranoia that starts inside one murderously insane teenage girl's head and then grows to encompass the whole world."

I don't think that description quite captures what The Rapture is about though. I believe it has some spiritual overtones and the effects of global warning come into play. I'm basing my supposition about the topic on a few passages so if anyone has read this book please let me know if I'm way off base.

6 comments:

bermudaonion on July 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM said...

Both of your new books look good. I hope you enjoy them.

avisannschild on July 13, 2009 at 2:25 PM said...

Ooh, I'm so jealous that you got Sacred Hearts! I'm kicking myself for not requesting that one. I look forward to your review!

cindysloveofbooks on July 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM said...

Another blogger who got The Rapture. How did I miss that one? Looking forward to your review on it.

Anonymous said...

My inaugural address at the Great White Throne Judgment of the Dead, after I have raptured out billions! The Secret Rapture soon, by my hand! Stay tuned!
Read My Inaugural Address
At = http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/spaceman

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea on July 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM said...

Just came across your blog; it's great. I also have Sacred Hearts and The Rapture. Happy Reading.

Literary Feline on July 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM said...

I'm really looking forward to reading Sacred Hearts. I really liked Birth of Venus.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)