Mailbox Monday


This meme is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi at The Story Siren.






I received two books in the mail last week. The first is The Betrayal by Helen Dunmore which I won through the LibraryThing early reviewer programme.

From Helen Dunmore's website:
Leningrad in 1952, a city recovering from war. Andrei, a hospital doctor, and Anna, a nursery teacher, are forging a life together. They try to avoid coming to the attention of the authorities, but their private happiness is precarious. Stalin is still in power, and when Andrei has to treat the seriously-ill child of a senior secret police officer, he and Anna are caught in a web of betrayal.


I only realized after I received this book that it's a sequel to another book called The Siege! Thankfully, my library had a copy and I was able to borrow it.

The second book I received is Then Came the Evening by Brian Hart.

From Bloomsbury's website:
Bandy Dorner, home from Vietnam, awakes with his car mired in a canal, his cabin reduced to ashes, and his pregnant wife preparing to leave town with her lover. Within moments, a cop lies bleeding in the road.

Eighteen years later, Bandy's son -- a stranger bearing his name -- returns to the town, where the memory of his father's crime still hangs thick. When an accident brings the family -- paroled father, widowed mother, injured son -- back together, the three must confront their past, and struggle against their fate.

Like a traditional Greek tragedy, suffused with the mud, ice, and rock of the raw Idaho landscape, Then Came the Evening is tautly plotted and emotionally complex -- a stunning debut.

5 comments:

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on February 15, 2010 at 10:13 AM said...

Both your books sound like very good reads. I'll look out for your reviews. They might make good book club selections. Enjoy!

bermudaonion on February 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM said...

They both look good! Happy reading!

Staci on February 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM said...

Both of them look great and from time periods that I need to read more of!! Enjoy!

Tina on February 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM said...

Hope you enjoy "Then Came the Evening" as much as I did--I was surprised by how much I liked it because the setting isn't one I normally relate to.

Literary Feline on February 16, 2010 at 12:01 AM said...

These both sound like they will be good. I hope you enjoy them.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)