Review: THE GIRL WHO STOPPED SWIMMING by Joshilyn Jackson




Laurel Hawthorne, her husband David and daughter Shelby live an idyllic life in an idyllic gaited community called Victorianna. Life is wonderful until one late night Laurel is visited in her dreams by the image of Shelby’s best friend, Molly, who leads her to the backyard swimming pool. There Laurel discovers Molly’s floating, lifeless body and suddenly the carefully constructed world Laurel has created starts to come apart at the seams – nothing is as perfect as she thought it was and Laurel’s efforts at keeping it all together unravels slowly at first but quickly gathers steam. Laurel seeks the help of Thalia, Laurels estranged sister, as the only person who has the force of personality to deal with police questions and to find out what really happened that night.

This book reveals what it would be like to have an outwardly perfect family held up to a magnifying glass. It was a good read and I would recommend it.

6 comments:

Staci on December 31, 2008 at 12:03 AM said...

this book sounds really good!

Literary Feline on January 1, 2009 at 4:27 AM said...

Have you read gods in Alabama? I have that one on my shelf to read. This one sounds good too. Thanks for the review!

Donna on January 1, 2009 at 9:46 AM said...

Thanks for your comments!

I haven't read Gods in Alabama yet - but I discovered that I have 2 copies of that that book. Don't know how that happened!

cindysloveofbooks on January 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM said...

Great Review. Another one I will have to check out. Thanks

Jenners on January 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM said...

Hello--

I was just stopping by to check out your blog after you stopped by to check out mine via Library Thing. Wow! How much do you read???? I am amazed by the number of reviews I saw! I was drawn to this one though -- sounds like I might enjoy it.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again -- either on blogs or LT!

Donna on January 3, 2009 at 10:31 PM said...

Hi Cindy - thanks for your comment. See you soon.

Hi Jenners - Looks are deceiving! You probably read more than I do. I accidentally deleted my blog last November and had to create a new one, so I populated it fairly quickly with reviews that I'd saved...thank goodness I made copies of them!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)