Review: Regression by Kathy Bell



In this first book of the Infinion series by Kathy Bell, Adya Jordan, a forty year old woman and the mother of six children, wakes from a coma to find herself in her former fourteen year old body, her husband and children a far-off memory. She discovers to her dismay that she is in a different ‘timeline’ and woke from an accident that she has no memory of. No one around her is aware of her regression except for the elite from the mysterious Three Eleven Corporation.

I was immediately taken with this novel when I read the blurb for it. This is the sort of science fiction that appeals to me. Part of that appeal stems from the ‘what if’ factor. There are all sorts of questions that can’t be answered, but are fun to ask anyway: What if I’d been born earlier than the year I was born in? Later? What if my parents hadn’t met the day they had? Would they have gotten to know each other if they’d met another day? What if I hadn’t gone to the same school as my husband? I might have met him regardless since I already knew him slightly through a mutual friend. Regression asks all of those questions plus many others I’ve never thought of before. The plot of this novel starts almost at the first page and the action doesn’t stop. I enjoyed how the Three Eleven Company is portrayed almost as a living, breathing character and has a sinister, foreboding feeling to it. The author did a great job drawing the reader into the atmosphere of Three Eleven.

Adya is a very likeable main character. I think part of her attraction is that she does not make poor choices or (for the most part and in my opinion!) does not exercise unusually bad judgment. Nothing ruins a book for me more than a character who continually frustrates! So, despite looking like a fourteen-year-old, Adya displays the life experience and maturity of an older woman. I kept that image in my head while reading and found it an interesting perspective. She deals with all sorts of new situations and people – but what stuck out the most was the patriarchal and condescending nature of the big corporation.

The plot, action and characters of this novel do not disappoint. However, I think that the book could have used more editing. For a finished book there were a few typos that should have been corrected. Other than that, I really enjoyed this novel and plan on reading the next book in the series, Evolussion. Anyone who enjoyed reading Replay by Ken Grimwood or The Children of Men by P. D. James would also enjoy Regression.

5 comments:

Mary Kontrary on November 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM said...

I really enjoyed your review and analysis of Regression. It mirrors almost exactly my thoughts. Great job!

Marce on November 8, 2010 at 7:37 PM said...

The cover completely gripped me so i'm excited to read your review, great job. I'm adding to my Wishlist for sure.

Staci on November 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM said...

I've not heard of this one until now...might be one I would read. Great thoughts on it!

TheBookGirl on November 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM said...

Wonderful review...I don't read alot of science fiction, but I am open to something in that genre that might appeal to me, and this might be it...particularly as you reference PD James..

Julie on November 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM said...

Regression is on my wishlist. I, like you, always catch typos, syntax, and grammatical errors as I read, and it tends to throw me 'out of the book', if you know what I mean. The reviews on this have been mixed, but I really would like to read it based on the premise! Thanks for sharing!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)