Books On My Shelves


A book Ive had on my wishlist for a long time is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Walking around my bookstore last week I saw it on a table and grabbed it. My husband counter-grabbed. It was a horrible ;-). He took it from me and placed it back on the shelf where it will no doubt languish due to no fault of its own.

Ok, perhaps I am being a bit melodramatic but I really do want that book! One of the things though about owning a bookstore is that all the books in it are for sale whether I want them in my personal library or not. The good news is that the thousands of books I do own are mine to keep and not subject to the cold glare of bookstore customers. (I know, again the melodrama!) I'm going to have to come up with a plan to get hold of that book. A trade perhaps...another book that he wants to have in the store more than this one. As you can see, one must be clever and devious when dealing with wily bookstore owners! Now on to the book...


The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield is not a new book; it came out in 2006 and from what I gather, it was quite popular. I heard about it just last year and the cover when I saw it, attracted me immediately. Add to that the description from the publisher's website:
Sometimes, when you open the door to thepast, what you confront is your destiny.

Reclusive author Vida Winter, famous for her collection of twelve enchantingstories, has spent the past six decades penning a series of alternate livesfor herself. Now old and ailing, she is ready to reveal the truth about herextraordinary existence and the violent and tragic past she has kept secret forso long. Calling on Margaret Lea, a young biographer troubled by her ownpainful history, Vida disinters the life she meant to bury for good. Margaret ismesmerized by the author's tale of gothic strangeness -- featuring the beautifuland willful Isabelle, the feral twins Adeline and Emmeline, a ghost, a governess,a topiary garden and a devastating fire. Together, Margaret and Vida confront the ghosts that have haunted them while becoming, finally, transformed by the truth themselves.

This is one of those books I just can't wait to read. The anticipation is driving me crazy - I just know I'm going to love it. Has anyone else read this book? If you have, what did you think of it?

3 comments:

bermudaonion on February 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM said...

A friend of mine lent me her copy of this book a while ago and I still haven't read it.

I can picture you and your husband tussling over that book now!

cindysloveofbooks on February 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM said...

Donna how about I go in and buy it and then give it too you? LOL P can't stop me from buying it can he?

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on February 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM said...

Donna, I have a copy you can borrow. Just let me know and I will drop it off at the store. I'll make sure your hubby doesn't sell it!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)