EXCITING NEWS!!!


After talking about it for many years, my husband and I are about to open a used bookstore.

We have owned a retail business before – an ice cream parlor – so we know what it’s like to own your own business. A lot of work! A food-based business takes constant attention. We had to make sure we didn’t run out of the product – soft and hard ice cream of course, but also all the by-products such as cones, dippings, toppings, candy sprinkles and other ingredients. And since in our shop we also offered frozen yogurt and a variety of cold drinks, we had to have fruit, milk and products to make smoothies and slushes. And those are just the food items. Also required are the bowls, napkins, spoons, cups and lids and the list goes on and on..

I haven’t owned a bookstore yet (opening is in September) so I can’t swear that it will be that different from owning an ice cream store but I suspect there will be vast differences. For one thing books don’t have an expiry date (at least the good ones don’t!) We won’t be visited by food inspectors or have to calm crying children because they dropped their cone. (Yep, that happened a lot!) We’ll still have to buy the product to re-sell but we won’t have to drive a long way several times a week to a crowded wholesaler to get it. Most of the product will come right to our door!

But to actually get the thing opened and running is another thing. As it was for the ice cream shop, we will be very busy getting every little detail taken care of so that we can start selling books as soon as possible when our lease starts on September 1. There is a business at the location until then so we can’t sneak in a bit early to get a jump on things. We need to hire staff, get signage done, a phone and the internet hooked up, shelves built, cash register bought, not to mention renting a truck and hauling furniture and books to the store and do all this while the front door is open to attract book lovers. Oh, this will be fun!

I’ll be sure to write a progress report soon on this new adventure and post pictures as soon as I have them!

17 comments:

Literary Feline on August 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM said...

How exciting! Congratulations! I look forward to hearing about your experiences as a bookstore owner.

Tina on August 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM said...

I'm so jealous...I think that's one of the secret dreams of every book lover---to own a bookstore. Please keep up posted.

bermudaonion on August 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM said...

This is exciting news! I hope all goes well for you in your new endeavor!

Miss Remmers on August 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM said...

How very exciting! I'm definitely jealous! Can't wait for pictures!

Tina on August 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM said...

Yeah Donna!! Its a DONE deal and I am soooo happy for you guys. If you need anything - just let me know!!! I will definitely be visiting your bookstore :) unless, of course, you decide NOT to carry chick lit (he!he!). Congrats guys!

Chèli on August 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM said...

Good luck with this new adventure!

Be sure to post the website when it's available!

Cheli
Cheli
Cheli's Shelves

Linda Nguyen on August 14, 2009 at 6:37 PM said...

This is so exciting! I want to visit your bookstore too. Please keep us posted. I would help out too if you need any help. =) I hope everything goes well for you and your husband.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea on August 14, 2009 at 9:43 PM said...

This sounds so exciting. Wishing you much success!

Paula on August 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM said...

All the best in your new adventure! How cool is that, a bookstore!

Jem on August 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM said...

I agree with Tina that it is every book lovers dream to own a bookstore. Getting to sit around all day reading anything off the shelves, a few customers every now and again to recommend your favorites to, a cat sitting on the wing back chair in the corner ... Now with your long to do list reality has crept in and my fantasy is shattered.

Good luck with it all. Where is the location? Did I miss something but everyone else seems to know where it is to visit.

Donna on August 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM said...

Thank you, Literary Feline! I'll post more when things start hopping!

Hi Tina, I agree, book lovers do tend to talk about owning or at least working in a bookstore.

Thanks, Kathy!

Miss Remmers, I will post pics soon!

Thanks, Tina! I hope you can make it out to the store sometime, though it is far for you. Thanks for your kind offer! Of course we'll have chick lit!

Hi Nonna, yes, I'm thinking about a website. Not sure when I'll have time for it - hopefully in the fall.

Hi Linda - thanks for the offer of help! I will post more about the store soon. Maybe you and Tina can do a field trip!

Thank you, Diane and thanks for your kind comment!

Thanks Paula. Yes, I think it's pretty cool too.

Jemima, I'm sorry to shatter your illusions! ;) But hopefully, we'll get to the point where we will be able to sit and read the books. The location of the store is in a suburb of Montreal, Quebec. Tina and Linda Ellen (along with Cindy, Avis and myself) are members of a book blogging meet-up group (we meet about once/month to talk books, blogging and whatever else comes to mind) so we all live in or around Montreal. It's loads of fun!

Staci on August 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM said...

I'm jumping up and down with excitement for you!!!!! I wish I lived near your store so I could #1-meet you, #2-browse for hours, #3-spend all of my mad $$$ in your store!!!

cindysloveofbooks on August 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM said...

Hey Donna I just read this. Congrats to P and you. Okay so I guess I should be prepared for tons of books in the books bought meme now.

So happy for you guys. I will have to do some research in that establishment when it opens LOL

Donna on August 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM said...

Thanks so much, Staci! It would be great to meet you too!

Hey Cindy...yes, I suppose I'll be doing much more research now than ever before...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Donna. Looking forward to seeing photos in the months to come.

Mary Kontrary on August 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM said...

Oh, I wanna be you! To-do list and opening craziness and all. Very exciting, and my heartfelt congratulations on your new endeavor. May it be a wonderful success! And yes, please do post a link to your website when you get it set up.

avisannschild on August 31, 2009 at 6:18 PM said...

Congrats, Donna! I knew I'd missed something when I saw Tina's email about your bookstore and now I realize it was this announcement. I can't wait to come and shop at your store! (I also agree with the first Tina's comment, that to own a bookstore is the secret dream of every book lover!)

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)