Mailbox Monday




This meme is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi at The Story Siren.




I received a package last week from Canada Post. It was wrapped in plastic and in bold black text said, 'Apology from Canada Post Corporation'. It goes on in letter format with 'Dear Customer' and explains that they 'sincerely regret that your mail item is damaged. It was found in this condition in the mailstream.' ARGHHH! Well, I know things like this happen. But did it have to happen to a book? I undid the plastic and the book was in a large envelope that had been ripped open along the top and then taped over again. It looked as if someone stuck their finger into the envelope and tore it open. Perhaps this happened at the border and they're checking packages for drugs or other illegal paraphernalia. Don't they have ex-ray machines for this sort of thing? Did they really have to rip it open? The cover of the book was bent and some of the pages inside were folded over. It looked like it had been well-read! In any case, I will not let this stop me from enjoying the book! The Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith is a LibraryThing early reviewer book that I won in March. I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing it, damaged or not!

7 comments:

Tina on May 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM said...

That's weird. I received a package in exactly the same state last week. I don't know if customs is opening packages and checking for something in particular? especially since this doesn't regularly happen to me either - too much of a coincidence for both of us to have the same issue?

I talked with Terry and he said that it definitely happened at customs. Apparently, this happens alot more often than we think and customs usually can't be bothered to reseal the package properly - NICE!!!!!!!!

bermudaonion on May 3, 2010 at 9:51 AM said...

I recently got an envelope with nothing but a note - the book was missing! It looked like someone had opened it and re-sealed it.

Literary Feline on May 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM said...

I wonder if there's someone in customs who is taking advantage of the books that go through the mail. ;-)

I am glad you at least received the book, Donna, unlike Kathy. I've had that happen to me too.

DCMetroreader on May 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM said...

Wow sorry to hear about your book. Hope you can still read it ok!

avisannschild on May 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM said...

That sucks! I've had that happen to me too, although not with review books and not recently. Hope you enjoy the book anyway!

How weird that it happened to Tina last week too!

Staci on May 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM said...

I often wonder if the Post office had to reimburse us for the damages if they would treat packages like that??? Sorry it came to you damaged...hope it's great!

Muddyfeet Momma on May 4, 2010 at 8:35 PM said...

The book that I won in your contest arrived in an open package as well. The book was not damaged but the envelope had been sliced open. By the way, you mentioned it was supposed to be signed... it definitely isn't signed unless he used invisible ink. Still looking forward to reading it though.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)