Mailbox Monday




This meme is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi at The Story Siren.





I received one book last week. It's called Forest Gate and it's written by Peter Akinti. I read the first page as soon as I opened the envelope and I can say without a doubt I'm going to really like this one. The blurb on the back of the book reads:
In a community where poverty is kept close and passed from one generation to the next, two teenage boys, best friends, stand on top of twin tower blocks. Facing each other across the abyss of London's urban sprawl, they say their good-byes and jump. One dies. The other, alternating with the sister of the deceased, narrates this novel.

James gives us a window into the inner city -- his mom is a crack addict, his gang "brothers" force him to kill another black boy. Meina describes with feeling her family history in Somalia: after her parents are killed before her eyes, her village aunt sells her to six husbands -- before she is even a teenager. Desperate to rebuild their lives, James and Meina set out to find the place for which every child longs -- home.

Brutal and shockingly violent in places, rambunctious and lively in others and slyly, dryly witty in yet others, Meina and James's journey toward life through their past is ultimately a powerful story of redemptive love and the debut of an extraordinary literary talent.

5 comments:

Missy B. on March 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM said...

Sounds good! I didn't get any books last week...maybe it'll give me a chance to get caught up!

bermudaonion on March 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM said...

Sounds like a good one! Happy reading!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea on March 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM said...

I also received this one, and agree it does sound good. Not sure when I'll get to it though:(

Staci on March 15, 2010 at 4:07 PM said...

this is my type of read...enjoy!

avisannschild on March 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM said...

Wow, this sounds pretty intense -- not sure it would be my cup of tea! Happy reading!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)