Recipe: BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING


When I have the time, I love to cook and bake. Often during the week I'm tired when I come home from work and usually just put something quick in the oven. If I were more organized I'd try to prepare meals on the weekend for busy weeknights but that isn't always possible. But this morning I thought if I posted a recipe or two on Saturdays perhaps that would inspire me to make the time somehow so I thought I give it a try...starting with my favourite - a dessert recipe!

This is very quick and simple to make. I've had the recipe for quite a few years and didn't write down where I got it from. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know!

Butterscotch Pudding

1/3 to 1/2 cup (75 to 125 ml) brown sugar
2 tbsp (25 ml) water
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
1 3/4 cup (425 ml) milk
2 egg yolks, beaten (optional)
3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch

1. In a 1 quart (1 L) glass measure or bowl, combine brown sugar, water and butter. Microwave at high (100%) for 2 minutes or until sauce is smooth, stirring once.

2. Stir in milk followed by the egg yolks and cornstarch; mix well until smooth.

3. Microwave uncovered at high for 2 minutes. Continue to microwave at high for 3 to 5 minutes more or until pudding comes to a boil and thickens, whisking well every minute. Refrigerate until cool. Serves 4.

Notes:

1. The higher amount of brown sugar makes a sweeter pudding with a more intense butterscotch flavour.

This is the brown sugar, water and butter, microwaved.

Milk has been added to the mixture.

The proper consistency!

The pudding is ready to refrigerate! Cover with plastic wrap if you don't like skin to form on the top.

4 comments:

bermudaonion on August 29, 2009 at 9:08 AM said...

This shows you what I know - I never knew you could make pudding from scratch. I guess I never really thought about it.

Staci on August 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM said...

Kathy's comment made me laugh!! I too just got my pudding from Jello box!! I do remember once my mom made Butterscotch pudding for us as kids. Then one day I made hot mustard and told my brother it was butterscotch, which was his favorite btw...he took a big big and started to scream. Ran out of the house and ran around the cornfield out back several times!!! If I made this he probably wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole LOL!!! However, I'm coming over today to sample this so leave me some would you?

Adele on August 30, 2009 at 11:38 AM said...

mmmm droool

The Tome Traveller on September 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM said...

Yum! Going to make this for my hubby tonight for dessert. Butterscotch is his favorite!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)