Review: SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE by Alan Bradley




When I discovered that this book was only the first in a series I was thrilled! Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the quirky, charming story of a young girl who sets out to discover the truth behind the murder of a man found dying in her garden's cucumber patch.

Flavia de Luce lives with her father and two sisters in an oversized Buckshaw – a house handed down from generation to generation in her mother’s family. It comes complete with a science laboratory where Flavia can perfect her concoctions and try them out on her older sister, Ophelia. Flavia is just eleven but she's smart, resilient and quick-witted. She’s one of the most lovable protagonists I’ve met in a long time.

As Flavia investigates the circumstances around the body in the garden, she interacts with all manner of people who don’t see things quite as straight-forwardly as she would have them and that brings just the right amount of humour to this enchanting novel. From dealing with her annoying sisters to out-witting the local police, Flavia navigates her way through the maze of the mystery with good humour and aplomb. Though I would say there were bits here and there that needed belief-stretching, that doesn’t detract from the story at all. This book is not just for adults - I would recommend this novel to anyone who loves a cozy mystery including younger teenagers.

Hardcover, 292 pages, published by Random House.

7 comments:

Literary Feline on June 11, 2009 at 1:20 PM said...

I like the title of this one. :-) I hadn't really known what it was about until now. Or that it was part of a series. Thanks for the great review. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

bermudaonion on June 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM said...

I really want to read this one. It sounds so good, and I love the title.

Staci on June 11, 2009 at 10:18 PM said...

I totally wanted to read this one based on the cover alone!! Now after your fantastic review it has become a MUST READ for me...and a series? yay!!!

Meytal Radzinski on June 12, 2009 at 2:00 AM said...

What I liked was that the belief-stretching parts did not make me angry, just fairly amused. And in the end it's just kind of fun.

Luanne on June 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM said...

I'm so excited when I find someone else who enjoyed this one as much as I did. It's one of my favourties of 2009

Donura on June 17, 2009 at 12:17 AM said...

I had hoped to get an ARC of this book, but I will settle for some great reviews and put it on my wishlist. Thanks for the review.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea on June 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM said...

I LOVED this book so much and am looking forward to more in the series. Great review.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)